6/7/10

Some Housecleaning

Alexa and I have a big project coming up that we've already started (will start posting about it soon, maybe even tonight), but in the meantime there have been a few meals that I've found noteworthy over the past few months.

I've been checking out the Hester Street Fair almost every weekend since it's opened, trying a new vendor each time. No perfect meals, but a nice sampling of some of the good, low-concept food from the area.

Mile End: I actually had my best meal at this simple deli. I got a Brooklyn sesame bagel, with the works, which was basically cream cheese, lox, and capers. Although a little pricey ($8 for a small bagel) it was very delicious. I can't honestly say the Montreal bagel tasted any different than a regular bagel (maybe a little sweeter and softer), but the very fresh lox was what really set it apart. A great breakfast meal.

Luke's Lobster: This was somewhat of a disappointment. Again, somewhat pricey for a street fair and a small portion. I got a pretty basic lobster roll, and it was in no way life changing. Not that I particularly expected a lobster roll to change my life, but I've consistently been hearing great stuff about this place. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that I got my roll away from the main store, and towards the end of the day, but for a better roll, stick with the Blue Plate Special at Mermaid Inn.

Malbon Brothers BBQ: A tasty, but dry, pulled pork sandwich. Another place I had high hopes for, but was pretty let down. Their baked beans were pretty good though.

Sigmund Pretzelshop: Had a great cheddar cheese and truffle pretzel dipped in real mustard. Not much to say about this really, other than it was good. I tried my friend's blue cheese pretzel at a later date...wasn't as much a fan of that one, but mostly because I've had some traumatizing experiences with blue cheese (I guess that's what happens when food smells like a foot).

Last week I also tried Eddie Huang's of Baohaus sample from his upcoming restaurant. It was a really good cold noodle dish. I'm sure I'll do a full review when the restaurant opens.

Let's see, what else...

Had some great avocado fries at El Almacen in Williamsburg last week...a tasty mango and peanut covered hot dog at Asiadog at the Brooklyn Flea Market...some good free vanilla ice cream courtesy of Blue Marble Ice Cream at the same market...and a few more things I'll get to in my next post.

Accompaniments (idea stolen from Aaron Turner of the (soon to be late,) great Isis...plus you knew I'd find a way to include music into this thing anyway): Helms Alee "Night Terror", Isis "Wavering Radiant", How to Destroy Angels "s/t", The Black Keys "Brothers"

No comments:

Post a Comment