7/8/10

Sandwiches 11-14 + Bonus Sandwich

I've started to realize my standards for sandwiches have steadily been going up as this process goes along. What I normally would've thought to be really good, now has to be compared alongside the other, better sandwiches on the list.

#11: Barros Luco, Chacarero Completo
If I had eaten this sandwich 2 months ago I think I would've really liked it. But now compare it to the P.H.O. Real and it hardly holds up. Part of the problem was with the preparation, not the ingredients themselves. The steak was at times too tough, and the bread was in places too soggy. Take that out of the equation, and it was a solid sandwich.

#12 Cheeky Sandwiches, Oyster Po' Boy
I sadly don't remember this sandwich that well. If I were a real blogger I would write about each of these as I ate them. If only someone would pay me to do this...
Anyway, I do remember that I liked this sandwich - it was well seasoned, the appropriate amount of crunch, good bread, and the right amount of spicy. It was, however, a little small. The price wasn't outrageous, but I could've used a bigger sandwich.

#13 Saltie, Scuttlebutt
Saltie was one of my favorite sandwich shops before this list, and that was after only one visit. They somehow manage to make insanely delicious vegetarian sandwiches out of a mess of ingredients that should in no way work together. I've previously had the clean slate, which I think is slightly better in the taste department. However, the Scuttlebutt isn't quite as heavy, and goes down a little smoother. It's hard to tell where the hard boiled eggs end and the feta begins, and it's similarly difficult to keep the damn thing together. The best part might however be the fluffy bread it's served on.

#14 Nun Pang Sandwich Shop, Mackerel with Leeks
This spicy Vietnamese sandwich did a good job of minimizing the fishiness of the mackerel and instead emphasized the sauce and flavorings. Like most Vietnamese sandwiches, it contained some combination of carrots, cucumbers, and cilantro (I can't remember which exactly), but it was balanced just right. Everything looked good on this menu - I definitely plan on going back.

BONUS SANDWICH
Pies 'n' Thighs, Chicken Biscuit
I'm not sure how this was not put on NY Mag's list (hooray double negatives!). Literally dripping with butter in all the right ways, this heart attack in sandwich form was one of the best sandwiches I've had in New York City. The biscuit was liberally smothered with butter, and then a touch of honey and hot sauce gave it a nice sweet/spicy aftertaste. The chicken was nothing special, but it didn't need to be, as the stuff around it is really what made this great. The side dishes were actually pretty bad (a bland mac n cheese and deep fried cornbread with tartar sauce, aka hushpuppies, were mostly left uneaten), but the meal ended nicely with some delicious banana cream pie. Stick to the chicken sandwiches and deserts and you really can't go wrong at this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment