9/19/10

LUCIFER BURGER


I've been a supporter of the Luther Burger ever since I heard about it. A bacon cheeseburger surrounded by a doughnut??? Yes please! Obtaining one, however, has been a little difficult. Of course I could always buy a Krispy Kreme and cook up a burger, but I felt that just wouldn't be right.

For the longest time, I kept hearing that the only Luther burger being served in NYC was at the Google cafeteria. I actually got to first sample the burger at this location about a year ago, but I left pretty disappointed. The doughnut was fine, but the burger was basically an overcooked hockey puck sitting in a heating plate all afternoon. I called a mulligan on that one and decided to seek it elsewhere.

Finally, last week I heard about a place in Chelsea that served the elusive Luther burger, and decided I needed to go there as soon as possible. Tipsy Parson advertised on their door that they served "belly-filling goodness" and they did not disappoint. That is to stay, they served up tasty food fit for a fatty. I am a fan.

I had an initial moment of panic when I didn't see the Luther burger on the menu, but when I inquired about it, the waiter said they would cook me one up. Shortly after the beast arrived, and it was really quite a sight. There was no side dishes or garnishes, just a fat piece of shit on a white plate. It was if to say, "We don't want you to have any doubts about what you're eating - this is a BURGER covered in BACON wrapped in a DOUGHNUT. You fat fuck."

I looked past these judgments however and dove right in. And......it was great! Well at first it was at least. The burger itself was actually a nice piece of meat - juicy beef and cooked just right. The doughnut was sugary and well textured, and the bacon was just crispy enough. One initial problem was that grease from the burger had seeped into the doughnut, making it a little soggy, but I was able to overlook this for the most part. The flavors managed to work really well, with the saltiness of the bacon nicely playing off of the sweetness of the doughnut. The first two-thirds of the burger went down really well, but I got a little queasy towards the end. I stopped short of finishing it to spare my stomach any future agony, and instead picked at my date's mac n cheese, which was actually really good as well.

Would I do it all again? Probably. Just give me a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment