9/28/10

Sandwiches 15-24

I've been steadily making progress on the list...but have been way too lazy to post it. Here is the next batch:


#15: 2nd Ave Deli, Chopped Liver
I like chopped liver. Even as a kid I liked it. I think at the time I didn't really know what it is, but even now that I do, it's something I enjoy eating. And by enjoy eating, I mean as a spread. On a cracker. Putting this on a sandwich (especially Jewish deli style) is overkill. I got about 4 bites into this before I got liver overload. That left about 3/4 of the sandwich left. Don't get me wrong, it tasted great...there was just way too much of it.

#16: La Superior, Torta Ahogada
This was basically an inside out pulled pork sandwich, with tomato sauce instead of BBQ sauce. The sandwich sat in a bowl of tomato sauce, and even though I usually hate soggy bread, this worked really well, as the bread still held some texture. The pork was tasty and well cooked, and the combination of the hot sauce and tomato sauce made for a very satisfying meal.

#17: Luke's Lobster, Shrimp Roll
I had tried the lobster roll at their Hester Street Market outpost a few months ago and left pretty unsatisfied. The shrimp roll, however, put the lobster to shame. For half the price, and twice the flavor, this is definitely the better bet.

#18: Banh Mi Saigon, Chicken Banh Mi
I'm usually skeptical of getting chicken in Vietnamese sandwiches. It's often composed of shitty dark meat, with a texture like that of pork belly, but not nearly as good. The meat in this sandwich had a much better consistency, and the tastes were all A+. I don't think at this point I need to go into what's in a Vietnamese sandwich, as they're pretty standard. What sets them apart is the meat that's put in and how well it's executed. This was a winning sandwich on both fronts.

#19: Prime Meats, Egg & Cheese
I was pretty disappointed in this. It was basically just a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich on a biscuit. Alexa liked the biscuit, I did not; I liked the sausage, Alexa did not. I wanted to get the pretzel braid, but they were actually sold out when we tried to order it.

#20: Xi'An Famous Foods, Pork 'Burger'
This was basically a really good pulled pork sandwich in a long bun. It tasted great. Better than that, though, was the rest of the food there. They make great spicy noodle dishes. This place has become my go-to Chinese food place near my apartment.

#21: Bouchon Bakery, Tuna
I ate this sandwich so long ago, so I don't remember much about it. It was really good, and had a nice combination of tuna and veggies. I remember I also got some sliders that were great, and that the cafe was run by the guy who cooks at Per Se. So there's that. Also, it was on the 3rd floor of the Time Warner building and had a great view of Columbus Circle (if you're into that sort of thing). (I was.)

#22: Salumeria Rosi Parmacotto, Porchetta Calabrese
Another one that I don't remember much about (I REALLY should update this more often). This place was notable for letting Alexa and me in with our hockey sticks and sweaty clothes on. And almost giving us a free plate of deli meat accidentally.

#23: Keste, Saltimbocca
A calzone-like concoction of prosciutto and cheese baked in an airy, crispy bread, this was a great meal. It was nothing fancy, but it was cooked just right, and was really a case where simplicity was exactly what was called for.

#24: Milk Truck, Grilled Cheese
Despite the fancy cheese used, this was really just a grilled cheese sandwich. It was ok, but not worth the $6 or $7 I paid for it. What was really good here, though, was the dark chocolate milkshakes. If you find yourself at the Brooklyn Fleak Market, skip this and go to Asia Dog instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment